Bathroom Breastfeeding Photo Goes Viral

Bathroom breastfeeding photo goes viral

Breastfeeding on the toilet is as uncomfortable as eating a plate of spaghetti might be, according to an image captured by photographer Tamar Shugert.

The humorous photo, which depicts a woman nursing juxtaposed next to a man eating lunch in the bathroom, went viral online after Shugert shared it with the photography Facebook group called 52Frames.

"If you are not willing to eat your lunch in the bathroom, then don't expect me to feed my kid there," Shugert wrote in the photo caption.

Shugert, who lives in Israel, told USA TODAY Network she nursed her two sons in public places and never felt she needed to use a restroom. However she's heard stories from friends who have been asked to leave a public space to go somewhere more private.

"It's not so much about the baby," she said. "The baby really doesn't care, but I think that women who are going out of their way to give their baby the best nutrition that they possibly can should not have to feel inconvenienced in doing so," she said.


Shugert took the photo in her home bathroom, she said. She posed for the photo herself holding a teddy bear under a feeding cloth (she doesn't currently have an infant) and her husband posed for the second photograph. Then, she photoshopped them together.

Many women and men have supported the photo's statement on social media, but Shugert said she's also heard from "pro-breastfeeding" women who think she shouldn't be using a cloth to cover up.

"I'm very proud of nursing my baby everywhere. I've nursed my baby in restaurants and malls. But I've always used a cover," she said. "I guess that's because I come from a religious community. I'm Orthodox Jewish and modesty is something I put on a high pedestal."
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment